LOOKING TO HIRE A CONTRACTOR?
Are you looking to hire a contractor? There are some things that you should know before hiring one. Finding the perfect contractor can be a stressful situation. It is important to find a reputable company to take care of the project at hand. Here are some helpful tips for finding the ideal contractor for your job…
DO THE RESEARCH!
- The internet is a great place to do research on different companies in your area. Most companies will have their own company website which may have pictures of their previous projects. The website could also state how long the company has been in business. The longer the company is in business, the more records and reviews you can look at.
- Social media is a common form of advertisement for construction companies to use so check out their Facebook, Linked In, Google +, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media platform. Review the comments that other customers have left and again, look at all of their pictures of previous projects.
- Talk to your friends, coworkers, or neighbors who have had similar projects done and see who they have used.
- Ask the contractor for references or contact the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no complaints filed against the company.
- Check what qualifications and licenses the company holds.
GET MULTIPLE ESTIMATES!
- Contact a few different contractors and get estimates from each one. Verify that each contractor is quoting the same items so you can compare each quote accurately.
- Do not automatically go to the lowest bidder! There might be a reason why they have the lowest price and you want to make sure they are a reputable company.
- Find out what other recent projects they have done like yours and ask to see the pictures.
- Ask if they are going to be using subcontractors for this particular job.
- Request a list of suppliers they use for their jobs- you will be able to contact those suppliers and make sure the contractor is reliable.
- Listen to how well they are able to communicate the answers to these questions… poor communication before the project will equal poor communication during the project.
- Create a checklist of your responsibilities during the project such as where you will put the pets, determine if utility locates need to be done, figure out if a fence needs to be removed in order for a truck to get to a certain area, etc.
- Be mindful of your neighbors! If it will be a loud, destructive project then let your neighbors know ahead of time as a courtesy.
- You are not able to verify the contractor’s information such as name, address, or telephone number.
- Being pressured into signing the contract on spot or you will lose that particular price.
- They have no references (or refuse to give them).
- You cannot verify their licenses.
- The contractor won’t provide a bid in writing.
Mancil’s Tractor Service, Inc. is a Site Contractor with a Commercial General Contractor license based out of Palm City, Florida. We have served the Treasure Coast from Indian River County down to Palm Beach County for over 20 years. Mancil’s specializes in earth work, asphalt paving/repair, excavation, land clearing/grading, underground utilities and more. We would be more than happy to give you a FREE quote for your upcoming projects! Contact us at (772) 288-0951.